Remote access security has become a burning topic lately, thanks to the global pandemic. Security, risk and compliance managers face a new challenge: How to reinforce the security measures as to access control in remote work conditions. While organizations have realized that working remotely is the only way to ensure business continuity, the remote access threats to IT infrastructure have loomed large.
Remote Access is especially important for organizations that are spread across different geographies. Different geographies falling under different time zones in turn have different challenges. There is an ambiguity about whom to give the privileged access to which system at what time and for what purpose. As a result, cyber risks are increasing exponentially. Malicious insider threats and third-party IT risks pose serious threats.
Why do cyber risks increase in remote work conditions?
Remote Access has resulted in various emerging scenarios resulting in increased IT complexities.
Among them, these are predominant:
- Weak or inadequate access control policies cannot ensure that all the accesses happening in the enterprise IT environment are authorized. Malicious actors misuse this loophole and compromise privileged accounts.
- Absence of robust end-user validation mechanism like Multi-factor authentication fails to identify authorized and genuine users accessing critical systems in the enterprise network. Suspicious and unreliable third-party users remain unidentified because of this.
- Employees access business-critical applications with ‘always-on’ privileges. There is absence of access control framework such as access based only on ‘need-to-know’ and ‘need-to-do’ basis or granular access controls.
Ensure IT Administrative efficiency
with ARCON | Remote Assist
What could be done?
To get over the IT security risks and challenges in remote work conditions, the global IT security community requires a robust solution that could control and manage every task happening remotely. There is an urgent need for a unified governing engine. A centralized access control framework that could reinforce rule and role-based privileged access control can significantly reduce malicious insider risks.
To address these emerging challenges, ARCON has developed a robust solution: Global Remote Access (GRA)
This solution ensures a secure enterprise IT environment by reducing the apparently unproductive hours of IT operations like time taken to respond to functional glitches raised by the end-users. Not only that, while permitting users for privileged rights, the hours lost during the transition can be eradicated with the automated GRA tool. Moreover, the privilege elevation happens in a secure manner. It enhances the enterprise IT lifecycle management by managing every possible remote assistance provided to the end-users.
Global Remote Access comprises several benefits discussed below:
- The IT admins can simplify the task of tracking the end-user activities and generate a report of all the remote activities performed on each and every system.
- The IT admins can process a remote session only after an approval and user validation check done by the tool. However, the admins possess the rights to pause or terminate the access rights if any anomaly is suspected. The duration of the elevated rights can be extended if required.
- Any kind of confidential file transfer is always restricted unless the end-users request for it on valid operational ground. It indirectly prevents chances of data loss. Once the process is over, the file access rights are revoked immediately to prevent unnecessary ‘extra-time’ privilege.
- GRA supports generation of video logs of every remote session and thereby helps in session analysis regularly and in audit trails.
- During situation-based requirements, the administrators need not reveal the login credentials to the end-users who are given elevated access rights for any application/ system for a specified time. It helps to follow the principle of least privilege and avoid excessive standing privileges.
- GRA helps IT admins to remotely enable password rotation policy for the end-users frequently. It ensures least intervention and thereby prevents every unauthorized access.
ARCON Global Remote Access (GRA) solution is an effective solution today for enterprises to manage and control remote users across different geographies. In order to ensure a secured remote connection to their designated desktop or laptop from outside the IT infrastructure, GRA is the best option to prevent the IT risks that arise from Work From Home (WFH) conditions.